We’ve done the research for you and come up with the highest-reviewed and most novel sleep masks of the year. You will find a sleep mask on our list for all purposes and all budgets.
Why Use a Sleep Mask?
The main reason to use a sleep mask is to block out light, allowing you to get to sleep faster. They can come in handy in situations, such as an airplane flight or as a passenger in a car, during a hospital visit, or to merely cut down “light pollution” from electronics like routers, chargers, or digital alarm clocks at home. Many insomniacs and those who have migraines swear by their eye mask sleeping habits.
They are not only handy while traveling for catching a nap on an airplane, but also can signal to a chatty seatmate that you’d like privacy!
What Are the Benefits?
If you use one routinely, putting on a sleep mask signals to the body that it’s time to sleep. Some people like to use them in combination with chamomile tea, melatonin supplements and even essential oils to avoid relying on sleep medications.
According to some research, using a sleeping mask combined with earplugs results in more REM sleep time, less waking, and higher melatonin levels.
Some masks now have wireless headphones that let you listen to music as you fall asleep.
Tips for Finding Your Perfect Sleep Mask:
- Some people prefer molded eye cups for comfort. Higher profile eye pockets may be helpful if you want to use with eyelash extensions or plan to use for meditation and want to blink your eyes.
- Almost all are washable but wash by hand to preserve shape.
- Check out the type of fastener on the band if you have long, fine hair.
- Consider those that don’t put pressure on your eyes to avoid REM cycle disruption.
- Read reviews if you sleep on your side. Some of the higher-profile, contoured masks, masks with built-in speakers, or weighted masks are less comfortable for side-sleepers.
10 of the Best Sleep Masks on the 2020 Market:
- This sleep mask offers HD HI-FI sound with Bluetooth technology to pair with your smartphone or tablet. This allows you to listen to music as you fall asleep, or podcasts and audiobooks while resting.
- A built-in microphone allows you to talk on the phone hands-free.
- Washable velvet and elastic cotton with Velcro closure. Includes a charging cord.
MZOO Molded Sleep Eye Mask $16.99
- No pressure on eyes, eye space is wider and deeper than flat eye masks
- Durable and hand-washable materials
- Comes in a gift pouch with earplugs
- Allows your eyes to blink freely; Ideal for meditation
- Backed by a money-back guarantee
Manta Sleep Mask $29.99 & Free Shipping
- 100% light-blocking
- No pressure on the eye due to extra-deep eyecups that adjust to face size
- Durably made
- Money-back guarantee
- This weighted eye mask has a patented design and is made for relief from migraine headaches, tension headaches, sinus pain, and eyestrain.
- You can use it chilled to provide relief for tired and puffy eyes.
- It’s light-blocking, so it can be used as a sleeping eye mask, though because of the weight, it may be best suited to napping.
Lyocell Bamboo Sleeping Mask $10.85
- Affordable and lightweight yet blocks out light
- Made from organic and sustainable bamboo, this is a vegan alternative to a silk eye mask
- Thermo-regulating material keeps eyes 2 degrees cooler while wicking away moisture.
- A good, basic eye mask with a Velcro strap.
- Made with a blend of silk and cotton
- Compact for traveling
- Available at Ulta (check online for store availability).
KAO Megurhythm Steam Warm Eye Mask (Price varies, under $20 for pkg. of 12-14)
- Disposable warming eye masks, which self-warm once the pouch is opened.
- Heats and generates moderate steam up to around 40ºC (104ºF), and stays warm for about 20 minutes.
- Good for after computer work, sleeping in airplanes, trains, or to relax before sleep.
- Users report they help reduce dry eye syndrome (DES) and chalazion on eyes from blocked oil glands.
- Comes in Odorless, Rose, Chamomile, Lavender, Citrus, and Menthol scents.
- Sleep mask Walmart, anyone? This is the best bargain sleep mask.
- This gel mask can be heated and placed on the forehead to relax muscles and relieve sinus pressure and tension headaches.
- Use mask cooled to place over the eyes to soothe and relieve puffy, strained, or tired eyes.
- Wear the mask with plush lining towards the eyes for an eye mask for sleeping.
- This mask is one of the priciest for those who like to splurge and makes a nice gift.
- It’s made from 100% silk inside and out, which is smooth to the skin and doesn’t heat up like some fuzzier eye masks.
- Available through Nordstrom with free shipping and returns.
- Available in 9 hues.
- Contoured foam offers pressure-free comfort and allows you to blink freely, as well as protecting eye make-up while napping during travel.
- Comes in a wide assortment of colors and patterns.
If you have a partner that likes to read in bed or watch TV before going to sleep, you owe it to yourself to try a sleep mask to block the light.
Even the best eye mask is far less expensive than installing black-out curtains, and in 2020, sleep masks are available in many different models for all types of sleepers.
The best sleeping mask is not necessarily the most expensive one, but the one that suits you. You may want to try out several different models and give yourself time to adjust to sleeping with a mask in your home environment before you rely on one for travel.