Are You a Side Sleeper?
Everybody has their favorite sleep position. Some people sleep on their backs, some sleep on their stomach, while others sleep on their side. Which kind of sleeper are you?
Benefits of Being a Side Sleeper
Sleeping on your side isn’t just comfortable; it can be downright beneficial, as well. Before we dig further into the best side sleeper mattress options, let’s check out some of the benefits of sleeping on your side.
- Pain Relief – Sleeping on your side can reduce pressure on your back, giving your spine a much-needed rest. Finding the best mattress for a side sleeper is likely going to help your back pain.
- Snoring Reduction – Falling asleep on your back is one of the worst things you can do if you’re a snorer. Your airway can get obstructed, causing difficulty breathing. Sleeping on your side can keep your airway open throughout the night.
- Better Rest – Because you’re able to breathe more easily, it’s far more possible for you to get some solid, uninterrupted sleep. With the right side sleeper mattress, your sleep game could reach optimal proportions.
Best Type of Mattress for Side Sleepers
We scoured the internet and found some of our favorite mattress options for all of the side sleepers out there. Please note that many of these mattresses can be found on sale, so you’re likely to find an even better price than what you see listed here.
Price: $999 for a queen
This is the one we consider the best memory foam mattress for side sleepers. The design of the mattress cradles the body and makes it possible for you to wake up refreshed and ready to take on the day.
- Copper-infused memory foam for a long-lasting mattress.
- Thermo-gel cooling technology means that when you get too hot, the cooling cover will kick in to help regulate your body temperature.
- The cooling cover has a zipper for easy removal.
- The firmness is adjustable. One side is for people who prefer a soft mattress, and the other side is for people who prefer a more firm one.
- You won’t feel your partner’s restless movements because the foam technology prevents it from absorbing motion.
- Named by Forbes as the “Best Memory Foam Mattresses 2019”.
Price: $1,095 for a queen
If you’re in search of the best mattress for hip pain, then look no further. This Casper mattress delivers comfort in spades.
- The open cell foams allow for more breathability.
- This mattress absorbs the weight of the sleeper and transfers pressure away from key areas that can cause pain.
- “Zoned Support” alleviates stress on the hips and shoulders.
- The hybrid model features durable and resilient, yet gentle springs.
- The tiny pores in the foam prevent heat from becoming trapped, instead of allowing it to be released so that you can stay cool.
Price: $1,495 for a queen
You’ve just discovered the best mattress for side sleepers with shoulder pain. The Oceano is made with organic certified wool and cotton, making it the ideal choice for side sleepers.
- Moisture-absorbing plant-based Tencel that’s soft and gentle on the skin.
- A natural poly-silk fiber makes the material breathable and light.
- The cooling gel-infused memory foam means you’ll sleep nice and cool, with contouring memory foam that relieves pressure.
- Comfort coils offer responsive support for your hips and shoulders.
- It comes with a one-year sleep trial.
Price: $1,099 for a queen
Possibly the best hybrid mattress for side sleepers, you can’t go wrong with the Purple Hybrid. With its Purple Grid technology, your body will be thanking you for a great night’s sleep.
- Purple Grid technology alleviates pressure points and makes airflow possible, allowing you to sleep more comfortably.
- Cradles your hips and shoulders, while fully supporting your back.
- Motion isolating technology means your partner won’t wake you up if they’re one of those sleepers that toss and turn.
- Non-toxic, hypoallergenic materials make it possible for you to have peace of mind while you rest.
- 100-Night No Pressure Guarantee allows you to try the mattress without any regrets.
Price: $1,019 for a queen
Although this mattress is an incredible choice for side sleepers, it’s also the best mattress for back sleepers. So, if you have someone in your life who prefers the latter sleep position, then you’ll both be incredibly happy with this find.
- The design conforms to your body’s natural curves, making your favorite side sleeping position ideal.
- You can use this mattress on several types of support surfaces. This includes platform beds, slatted beds, boxspring, and adjustable beds.
- The Nolah Certipur-US® certified mattress is scientifically proven to reduce pressure on your hips and shoulders when compared to high-end memory foam.
- Your temperature will be regulated thanks to viscoelastic chemicals that prevent heat-trapping.
- Resilient latex keeps your mattress continually bouncing back into shape, so it doesn’t become worn and faded over time.
Tips for Improving Comfort for Side Sleepers
If you’re looking for some new and improved ways to get a better night’s rest, then look no further. We’ve got you covered with the following tips.
- Find a good mattress for side sleepers.
- Place a pillow between your knees to keep your spine in alignment.
- Sleep on your left side. Your stomach is positioned on your left side, so sleeping on that same side allows your digestion to flow more efficiently.
- Don’t sleep on your arm. This can cause what’s known as side sleeper shoulder pain. Having the right pillow to sleep on will prevent the need to have your arm beneath your head for support.
You now have all of the information you need to create the best bed for side sleepers. You’ll have a better night’s sleep with any of the mattresses we referenced. The important thing is to find the mattress that’s best suited for your comfort level and preferences. Sleep is essential, and there’s no reason for you to lose out on it.